Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Beamish clone reflections

First let's recap what was different about this compared to the last Beamish clone I tried:

  1. I used Simpsons Maris Otter as the base malt instead of Crisp Ale malt
  2. I used Pacman yeast instead of US-05
  3. I added a level teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate to the water treatment
  4. I served it on my new handpump
And the reasons:
  1. My LHBS didn't have Crisp Ale, and I use Simpsons Maris Otter for most ales, so thought I would stick with it.
  2. I had wanted to use Pacman the first time round, but couldn't get my hands on it.
  3. I did notice a slightly unpleasant acidity at low temperatures with the previous version, and some reading up on water treatment told me that carbonates can help to cover this up when using lots of dark malts/roasted barley.
  4. I didn't have a handpump the first time round.
I've been lucky with this recipe, it was given to me by Will from perfectpint.blogspot.com, and he had obviously put a bit of time and effort into it's creation. The first version was excellent, but had a little room for improvement. This version is an improvement on it. I think that each of the four changes I made had a detectable impact on the final product.

The Maris Otter gave it's usual biscuity background. I thought this might get lost among the chocolate and roasty notes, but it's definitely there. The Pacman yeast has contributed an amazing mouthfeel to the beer, and is probably the single biggest improvement. There's a slight but restrained fruity note too, which is probably coming from the yeast.

I couldn't detect any unpleasant acidic flavours, and my mash ph was spot on, so I have to conclude that it was worth adding the sodium bicarbonate - certainly it did no harm.

Finally the handpump adds a bit of magic as well as increased body and mouthfeel to the beer. I didn't 'cask condition' this as such. I just carbonated it to about 1.5vols of CO2, and then pulled it through the line, giving a small amount of CO2 whenever it was needed. The results were really satisfying.

What I have ended up with is a relatively low alcohol session beer, with loads of flavour from the chocolate malt and roasted barley, a pleasant and assertive bitterness, and incredible body and mouthfeel. It's not a dead on clone, but rather a reimagining of Beamish as a sort of premium stout - the stout equivalent of a Best Bitter perhaps.

Needless to say, I'll be brewing this again, and soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I like that, premium stout. I've always imagined my "Beamish" recipes tasting more like my ideal Beamish of memory, than what it probably tastes like in reality. Been ages since I've had a real one on tap... used to spend the hours between class at the Thirsty Scholar, near UCC. Nice pub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work in the Lee Maltings building just round the corner. I'm not sure exactly why, but our fire alarm would go off at least once every two weeks. That meant about 45 mins of everybody hanging around outside before we got the all clear to go back in. After a while a few of us decided the Thirsty was a better place to sit out the delay. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete