Friday, April 27, 2012

Keezer, control panel, new HLT

I've been keeping myself busy lately with my new brewery, and I finally finished off my keg freezer. I started this back in February, and up till now I had been using a beer gun to dispense. I finally got hold of some beautiful new perlick 525ss taps and shanks, and got these mounted at the weekend. Already I'm thinking about adding another tap, but that will have to wait a while. This has really changed my brewing, as getting rid of bottles has freed up about 50% of the time I dedicate to brewing, meaning I brew about twice as often as I used to.

My new taps!

 Also late last week I got hold of this keg from eBay. It's an old stainless steel keg, and quite a bit bigger than the standard 50L kegs you see most of the time around here. I'm trying to build in the capacity to get 2 19L kegs filled from one brew. I think this may work well as a Hot Liqour Tank for the new brewery. It will probably start out as a 2 vessel brewery, using my current BIAB pot to do both the mash and the boil.



Finally I should show some updates on my control panel. I've got most of it wired up now, and can control one element and one pump with it. I still don't have PID control of the element built in, for now it just switches off near the desired temp. I haven't wired up a display yet either. I'd like to use 7 segment displays for set temperature and mash temperature, but they are a bit of a pain to get mounted and wired. I may just go with an LCD of some sort. For now I'll just monitor from an old laptop.


No comments:

Post a Comment