Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Big Day

I decided to do two brews today, something I have done in the past but not lately. As a good Melbourne citizen I hate to waste water, and so once I decided to do a beer that requires chilling (a hoppy american pale ale), it made sense to use the hot waste water from the chiller to start another mash.

Both brews are from the book "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. This is a great recipe book and I have really enjoyed the beers I have brewed from it. These beers tend to be real crowd pleasers too, which can be both a good and a bad thing, I love to have people taste my beer but I hate seeing it disappear in a night or two.

Anyhow, the first beer is the American Pale Ale from "Brewing Classic Styles". This is a big beer, with an OG of 1.056, and should end up at about 5.7% abv. It's hoppy too, with 60 grams of hops in the last 10 minutes. There's no crystal malt in this one, with Munich and Victory providing a biscuity background. I also changed my water treatment a bit, based on a suggested bitter ale profile from perfectpint . 1tsp Gypsum, 1tsp Calcium Chloride, and a half tsp Epsom salts. Here's the recipe I used (slightly modified from the original):



Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          22.50    Wort Size (L):     22.50
Total Grain (kg):         5.98
Anticipated OG:          1.057    Plato:             14.11
Anticipated SRM:           6.8
Anticipated IBU:          40.6
Brewhouse Efficiency:       70 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:   26.47    L
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.049    SG          12.08  Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

   %     Amount     Name                          Origin       --------------------------------------------------------------
 84.8     5.07 kg. Joe White Pale Ale Malt (2-row)        
  3.8     0.23 kg.  Joe White Wheat Malt                   
  5.7     0.34 kg.  Breiss Victory Malt                           
  5.7     0.34 kg.  Joe White Munich Malt I                

Hops

   Amount     Name                   Form    Alpha  IBU  BoilTime
------------------------------------------------------------------
 20.00 g.     Magnum                 Pellet  12.10  34.1  60 min.
 14.18 g.     Cascade                Pellet   5.75   2.3  10 min.
 14.18 g.     Centennial             Pellet  10.50   4.2  10 min.
 14.18 g.     Cascade                Pellet   5.75   0.0  0 min.
 14.18 g.     Centennial             Pellet  10.50   0.0  0 min.


Yeast
-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II



I hit all the numbers on this one, which I was really happy about because it can be difficult to get consistent efficiency with bigger beers with the brew in a bag system. To aid me in this I did a mash out at 75, which I wouldn't usually do. I tested the PH with my now properly calibrated ph tester, and the mash ph was 5.4.

My pH tester, used in anger for the first time


I chilled after a 10 minute whirlpool and pitched a starter of WY1272. I've got the fermenting fridge set to 18.


The second beer of the day was the Kolsch from "Brewing Classic Styles". I brewed this last year and really liked it. At that time I had managed to get my hands on some White Labs WLP029 Kolsch yeast, which I really  like. White Labs yeast is hard to get here in Melbourne, with Wyeast being dominant. When cleaning out some old bottles last week I found six bottles of last years Kolsch, which to be honest didn't taste great, but had a good layer of yeast in the bottom. I got this fired up in a weak starter and I've been stepping it up.



Here's the Kolsch recipe:

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          22.50    Wort Size (L):     19.00
Total Grain (kg):         4.90
Anticipated OG:          1.047    Plato:             11.67
Anticipated SRM:           2.8
Anticipated IBU:          23.8
Brewhouse Efficiency:       70 %
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:   29.03    L
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.036    SG          9.12  Plato


Grain/Extract/Sugar

   %     Amount     Name                         ------------------------------------------------------
 95.4     4.67 kg.  Joe White Pilsener
  4.6     0.23 kg.   Joe White Vienna Malt                  


Hops

   Amount     Name                  Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
--------------------------------------------------------------
 43.00 g.     Mt. Hood              Pellet   3.90  23.8  60 min.


Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch


No comments:

Post a Comment