Monday, August 27, 2012

Kolsch fermentation

I've had some trouble with the Kolsch fermentation. It looks like I dramatically underpitched the recultured WLP029 yeast, resulting in an extremely slow ferment. A week after pitching the gravity was at 1.034, compared to 1.020 for the same timepoint on my last Kolsch (same recipe).

To see what I'm dealing with here I took 200ml from the fermenter and put it on a stir plate for a fast ferment test. While this was running I cultured up some more of this yeast, this time a stirred 500ml starter and pitched this. The fast ferment ended up at 1.009 after about 2.5 days. The main fermentation has now speeded up quite a bit, dropping from 1.032 to 1.020 in 2 days. Hydrometer samples are not tasting very good at the moment. This beer will be lagered for a month after fermentation, so it may clean up a bit during that time. I'm hopeful about this beer, though not very confident.


No comments:

Post a Comment